Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Rodeo Surprise!

As I've said on many blog posts before, one of the ONLY good things about the end of Christmas is that every January, the National Western Stock Show and Rodeo comes to town!  So, one bitterly COLD Saturday morning in January, we bundled up and headed down to the Stock Show.  Because of the cost, our initial plan was just to walk around the grounds and view all the livestock, tractors, etc.  Here's Lando on his favorite "geen" tractor.

The tractors were right next to a radio station booth.  So, we stopped to spin a prize wheel that was handing out beer cozies, water bottles, and all sorts of other junk.  While we were spinning, a lady from the radio station approached us and asked if we wanted tickets to the 11:00 rodeo.  We thought she meant for a cost, so we initially said no.  I pushed a little further, and we realized she was offering them to us for free!  I was so excited I started jumping up and down.  The rodeo is one of my very favorite things, and we were getting over $100 of tickets for free, yeehaw!  So, of course, we grabbed them and headed right in for the show.
We had great seats...the front row of the upper section.
We saw everything...bare back riding, saddle back, bull riding, barrel racing, mutton bustin', you name it, we saw it!


Brady had never seen mutton bustin' before.  When he realized there were kids his age attempting to ride sheep, he looked over to me and said "I do NOT want to play soccer, I want to do that!" :)

Wes doesn't really like rodeos, but even he said this was one of the bets ones he's seen.
The rodeo lasted about two hours, so afterwards, we had just enough time to head up to the petting zoo (and then head home for the Broncos game!)
Payton told me she wants to volunteer in the petting zoo next year.  I think that would be perfect!

It took Landon a few minutes to get used to the animals, but once he did, he had a blast combing their fur, feeding them hay, and petting them!




Sleepy sheepy, ha!




It was another great family day, especially with our rodeo surprise!

1 comment:

Sweet Home Colorado said...

Fun! If I wasn't so sneezy when I go there, maybe we would join you some year! Looks like you had your run of the petting zoo too! Whenever we've gone it's always so crowded with kids, it's a nightmare! You got some great pics, as usual!