Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A Night Out

Going back to teaching full time, coaching volleyball, and trying to stay on top of all of the home stuff (you know, things like parenting), made for an extremely busy and stressful fall.  The extra moola was nice, but I didn't sleep very much or do any of my three roles exceptionally well.  I definitely won't do all three again.  
So, to celebrate the end of volleyball and our friend Trish's birthday, Wes and I headed up to Black Hawk for the evening.  We booked a room at Ameristar which is a beautiful hotel.  Wes and I got there mid afternoon, checked in, and watched the Notre Dame game.  The best part?  I did not have any of my children saying mom mom mom mom :).  I know I am so blessed to have three kiddos saying mom mom mom mom, but an afternoon off was outstanding.
We met Nate and Trish as soon as they arrived.  While they checked in, we munched on free cookies and free wine.  I was a little excited about these cookies...I'm pretty sure Nate and Trish thought I was crazy.  But here they are in all of their crunchy but squishy free glory!
After a quick hotel tour, we headed to dinner.  We had a lovely meal and some great conversation.  At this point in the evening, I only took pics of the food.  Apparently, I was really hungry!
After dinner we headed out for some gambling and pics of people.
Trish and I.
Ameristar is expensive for gambling, so we walked down to a few other hotels for some 5$ roulette and craps.
Trish and I both tried to take a picture of the hotel from a distance.  It's so pretty at night when it's all lit up.  This was the best I could do...
You aren't really allowed to take pics near the gambling tables, so here are Wes and Nate by some slot machines.  They love to pose for pictures!
Because it was Saturday night, every casino had a live band.  This one was my absolute favorite.  What's better than an older women singing Lady Gaga next to a man playing the sax?  They reminded me so much of a SNL skit, I had to snap a pic.
We gambled off and on, but mainly we watched football!  It was a night to remember with both Kansas State and Oregon losing.  With 1 and 2 out of the way, our Irish moved right up to 1, wahoo!
Nate and Trish were definitely luckier than Wes and I.  As you can see by Trish's wad of cash :)

After a few hours of gambling, we headed up to the Ameristar roof and sat in the outdoor hot tub for an hour or so.  It was definitely my favorite part.  We ate milk shakes, drank a little more wine, talked, and relaxed.  After that, Nate and Trish went out gambling and pretty much paid for their hotel.  Wes and I, boring old farts, crashed and went to bed.  But, that was a much needed part of our mini vacation.

We had a great time.  Thanks for inviting us Nate and Trish!  Should this be a yearly tradition!?

2 comments:

Sweet Home Colorado said...

I'm glad that you guys got a night out! Looks like a great time!

Trish said...

Yeah, my wad of ones!!! Big time! It was a much needed mini vacation. Glad Wes was feeling well enough to make it up...even if it meant a few more days in bed afterwards!